Monday, August 21, 2006

Apple Ads hit Australia

Some months after they are released in the US, we get the "hi, I'm a Mac" ads appearing on Aussie TV.

I have to say they irritate me on a number of levels.

1. Trashing your competition

Stupid. It makes you look petty. Even more so when they have about 90% of the market.

2. Insulting potential customers

Given the genuine problems the competition has, you might be expected to get some to switch. So why insult them?

3. Confirming stereotypes

The stereotype Mac user is a skivvy wearing, smart arse, smug metrosexual graphic designer who's a sucker for following cults. Well done in cementing that view.

What's more, the ad's play into the hands of "the Mac's a nice toy, but I need to get some work done" crowd.

4. Misleading advertising

"It Just Works". One thing that drives us techs mad is tech companies making misleading statements. Sure the bugger will work most of the time, but I'll bet there'll be plenty of households and businesses that lose a lot of time trying to get some hardware or software combo working on their Mac.

I guess what really bugs me is that Apple has a great story to tell. The biggest problem for home PC users is Spyware and Trojan Horses. This is not a problem for Mac users.

Apple should be emphasising it's positives rather than insulting thousands of potential customers, but I guess the swarmy smart metrosexuals at their ad agency couldn't resist showing how superior they are to the grey, dumb, dull Windows users.

No comments: