Wednesday, August 01, 2007

The most influential tech products of the last 25 years

IT Industry association CompTIA celebrated it's 25th anniversary with a survey of the ten most influential IT products of the last 25 years.

I'm wondering who voted for this. The list is bizarre.

My suspicion is whoever they asked confused popularity with influence. That can only explain Internet Explorer being more influential than Netscape Navigator.

Similarly voting Blackberry over Palm (or the Psion or Newton) and voting MS Word over WordPerfect seems odd to me.

The most bizarre thing about the list is they overlooked Microsoft Windows.

One of the things that always worries me about these surveys is we see the press release but we don't see the survey itself, particularly how it was done and who was asked. I'd love to see the raw data for this one.

I'm not sure CompTIA's done itself a favour with this. It's going to antagonise more people in the industry. I guess it will draw attention to them and maybe that's a good thing.

No comments: