Sunday, December 02, 2007

Is MS Publisher dying

Following my rant about the versions of MS Office, I'm completing my write up for the PC Rescue website.

While researching it, one of the things I stumbled on was the Publisher blog at the MSDN website.

It hasn't been updated since September 2006. So I think we can safely say the poor beast probably won't make it into the next version of Office.

One of the things that killed Publisher was the failure of MS to ever get a reader out for it. Couple that with the fact it was never bundled with anything less than the premium editions and it made it impossible for most people to read .pub files.

These days, the layout features in Word make Publisher irrelevant for most home and small business users. For the business that do need functions more advanced than that, Microsoft have completely conceded the field to Adobe.

Goodbye Publisher. I'd like to say we'll miss you, but I don't think most of us will notice.

No comments: