Thursday, May 17, 2007

Microsoft Update failing

We've been seeing a lot of problems with the automatic Microsoft Updates program and now it's hit our systems. My computer is hanging with the update processes hogging up to 80% of resources.

Having tried everything suggested by Microsoft, the only solution appears to be to disable the Microsoft Update and go back to the Windows Update. That means running Office updates manually.

I haven't tried to update Office manually for some while, so I wasn't surprised to find the site changed. The irritating thing is the site prompts you to the Windows Update page. Problems with that are why I'm doing this manually.

Luckily, there's a tiny link below to the Office update page where we can update Office and only office.

But, Microsoft being Microsoft we have to validate Office before we can download.

Is it just me that's sick of having to validate my Microsoft products every second time I visit their websites.

Perhaps if Microsoft spent more time testing their products and updates and less time worrying about validating their products, we might get fewer of these problems.

No comments: